Black History Month - Respect for my ancestors, former slaves



When I was in school "Black History Month" was not something that I was taught or spoke of. I'm not that old, I think it's just that the small schools I went to didn't have it. I guess nobody ever thought about it. However, I do remember when the television movie series "Roots" was aired. People were naming their children "Kizzy" and "Kunta Kenta".

I was recently given a DVD set of the "Roots" movie series as a gift. I thought it was an odd thing to get it as a Christmas present, but I received it with love and appreciation. While watching the DVDs, I wondered how it was even completed because of the "N" word being used over and over and the cruelty shown. Too many people in today's social climate would be offended to the point of censoring the movie. Indeed, I hated hearing it too, but it is acurate history and we need to see and hear the ugly truth. It helps us to see the evil and wrong that was done so that we and future generations don't repeat it.


Shortly after watching "Roots", I saw a couple of DVDs advertised by a Christian ministry and decided to order them. One was about the life of George Washington Carver who was a Christian and black scientist who discovered hundreds of ways to use the peanut. The other DVD was about the life of Josiah Henson, a slave who escaped with his family to Canada and built a community there to help ex-slaves to read, write, learn job skills and start a new life in freedom. Both of these men were born in slavery and endured much cruelty and injustice because of their race yet they loved God so much. George Washington Carver loved all people, black and white. He gave God the credit and glory for his discoveries. Josiah Henson was a loyal man to cruel "masters" and even though he couldn't read nor write, he was a preacher of the Gospel. He also went back and helped others to escape slavery through the Underground Railroad.

Josiah Henson

As I watched these DVDs I found myself wiping tears many times. These men loved Jesus through all of their hardships. Josiah Henson is called the "Real Uncle Tom". The character in the book written by Harriett Beecher Stowe, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was based on his life. The phrase "Uncle Tom" is a derogatory one. A black person calls another black person that name if they believe him to betray his race. The DVD showed that the book is actually a good book that showed the ugly truth, cruelty and evil of slavery. The author wanted it to open the eyes of the American people to what was happening and to put an end to it. After the book was published people started doing drama, skits, and plays using the name Uncle Tom and misrepresenting the character. At that time there were no copyright laws for Harriett Beecher Stowe to protect her work so anyone could misuse the names and characters in her book.

I wanted to read the book. Several years ago I downloaded the ebook, but I deleted it because at the very beginning of the book, it starts right off with the "N" word being used over and over again. However offensive I wanted to read the book now. I found a free ebook and downloaded it again.


Right now I'm about half way finished reading the book. I'm glad I decided to read it. Looking beyond the "N" word and the cruelty of the characters there is some value. As, I said before, the truth is ugly. It's very ugly. Now, I have such a respect for my black ancestors who endured so much cruelty, pain and suffering. I respect the men and women who worked their lives away under cruel overseers. I respect the men and women who were looked down on and treated like cattle. I respect the men and women who couldn't dare even look a white person in the eye because it was against the law. I respect the men and women who were beaten and whipped like dogs for the slightest little offense. I respect those who were separated from their husbands, wives, and children. I respect the women whose babies were taken from them to be sold and never seen again. I respect the women who were repeatedly raped by evil and wicked men. It's awesome that yet through all of this, many victims of this cruelty were Christians. They loved God even under those conditions.

Slavery is still affecting us. Such deep sin has a spiritual side to it. Perhaps it is still affecting the family life. Black husbands and fathers were sold away from the wife and children on one plantation then was forced to mate with or marry another woman and have children on another plantation. These demons and spirits of fornication still plague us.

There were many so-called Christians who participated in slavery, that's what "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is about. It shows the hypocrisy in these "Christians". It also shows the hypocrisy in "America". It was supposed to be the land of the free and boasted that all men were created equal, but they enslaved other human beings.

While reading the book, I find myself wiping more tears. It was said that this book helped to start the Civil War by awakening the people's conscious to the evils of slavery. It is potent. I suppose it was very influential when it was first published because slavery was in full swing at the time.

It does us good to go back and look at history, even the ugly parts. It helps us to know where people went wrong or right. I helps us to learn from the mistakes and lessons of others. We gain a respect of what others accomplished in great hardship. Even in such terrible suffering, people found and trusted in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. That shows how powerful He is! He is able to help us endure everything! He will wipe away every tear and right every wrong!

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36
 

Copyright © Seeking God First Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger